Monday 13 December 2010

Uses of the Media?


This short and simple task helped me realise what sort of audience I am and how I use the media. After filling in the table I then had to ask myself why I used the different programmes...

News - Information, I watched the news to find out more about what was going on, to ''satisfy my curiosity''. It is satisfying and gives me a sense of exclusivity, watching and learning makes me think of the people that may not have taken up the same chance that I have. Watching certain documentaries on very interesting and controversial issues are an exciting thing for me to the inform other people about the next day, telling them what I learnt.

Neighbours - I don't watch this simply because I don't get a satisfaction with the following things, I don't learn anything I feel is necessary or receive any interesting information, it doesn't relate to my personal identity, being in Australia and basing itself around the older characters there is nothing I can relate to or identify with. However the reason why some people may watch it is under the reasoning of 'Integration and Social Interaction', people watch it to observe the lives of other people and the circumstances that they are in. It lets them escape from their day to day life but I feel that doesn't appeal to me at this present time and the age that I am in, I wouldn't escape through a soap such as Neighbours but through a show that is focused mainly on growing up such as Skins which deals with most of the issues teenagers face.

Quiz - I only ever really watch Quiz for my own personal identity, I find myself having similar sense of humour  to the comedians within the quiz show. Finding something funny that many who are in the audience live on the show are laughing at or that the comedians find funny is really pleasing as you feel you have a direct connection with the show and the people in it. It's a form of Entertainment, filling the time with something that creates laughter is an enjoyable thing.

Soap - Integration and Social Integration, I use this media in order to find out more about different peoples lives and the problems they face. Identifying with characters within soaps is really pleasing, having the ability to predict what they will do hooks you. It also helps you to get on with other people as soaps are often a topic of conversation and everyone loves being in the know. There is also an Entertainment aspect to watching soaps, very often there are quite over the top and dramatic story lines and on top of that, characters who are simply there to bring humour to the soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment